There are many decisions that go into selecting the right school for your child – public, separate, or private schools all are vying for the moral, economic, and social future of your child so you want to select a school that reflects future social needs in ensuring your daughter or son has the necessary advantages and skills to be successful in life.
A school and philosophy that continues to gain ground in Canada is the approach, developed by Maria Montessori in Rome in the early 1900s – it’s child-centered with teachers serving as guides. While there is a focus on academics, the distinguishing feature is that children learn at their own pace.
The Value of Independence at a Montessori School
Many parents choose Montessori because they believe it helps their children acquire leadership skills and independence in general, valuing their child’s happiness above convenience. Here are ten reasons why you may want to choose Sunrise Montessori:
- Multi-Age Classrooms – It has been found that children within certain age groups and levels can benefit from being in classroom with children of different ages – older children benefit by being role models and younger children benefit by seeing the success of the older children.
- Freedom of Movement – independence in the classroom allows your child to move about freely as needed, promoting self-control and feeling respected to make their own choices.
- Educational Materials – children learn in a variety of different ways and it is believed that educational materials that are rich in visual presentation are beneficial.
- Freedom of Choice in Work – based on the lessons presented in class, the child can take ownership in their work while gaining a sense of purpose and excitement about their education and classwork.
- “Follow the Child” Approach – the most widely known aspect of Montessori education is their approach of following the child at their own pace, to feel confident, and learn as he or she is best able to do.
- Practical Life – children learn practical life skills such as daily chores and conflict resolution, fostering a sense of responsibility that allows them to build confidence.
- Cosmic Curriculum – teaches the child about the universe and getting the child excited about the world in which he or she lives.
- Community – children learn about different cultures and people, promoting respect for diversity and for others, promoting respect through its global education.
- Peace Curriculum – a Montessori education promotes peace both in school and out, helping children solve their own problems and learn conflict resolution skills.
- Earth Conscious Curriculum – respect for the Earth, humans, and animals are part of the Montessori curriculum.
Contact Sunrise Montessori School to Learn More
Interested families are welcome to visit our Montessori school in Markham. Our programs for Infants, Toddlers, Elementary age students are outlined our Programs and Admissions. If you have more questions about elementary classes or Montessori schools, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.